Lots of what you already eat is vegan!
Many well-known products are vegan by chance, and we’ve listed some of our favorite “accidentally vegan” products below…
The More Obvious…
- Pasta (dry): Almost all dried pasta is made without egg and is therefore 100% vegan
- Most fresh bread is vegan and Ciabatta, by its very nature, is always vegan as it is made with olive oil
- Peanut Butter and other nut butters
- Mustard: Dijon, wholegrain, yellow
- Hot sauces like Tabasco, Frank’s, and Sriracha
- Seasonings like Tajín Clásico Seasoning and Tony’s Original Creole Seasoning
- Rice noodles: When ordering Chinese takeout, just ask for rice rather than egg noodles
- Jelly: Typically made with pectin (to thicken) rather than gelatin
- French fries: If cooked in veggie oil, then they are vegan!
- Oatmeal: When made with water or non-dairy milk
- Oreos: Most flavors
- Clif Bars: Most flavors
- Doritos: Spicy Sweet Chili
- Lays: Lightly Salted, Salt and Vinegar, Barbeque, Limón
- Munchos Potato Crisps
- Pringles: Original
- Chex Mix: Original flavor
- Kellogg’s Pop-tarts: Unfrosted
- Ritz Crackers: Original, Whole Wheat
- Kettle Chips: Sea Salt, Sea Salt & Vinegar, Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper, Roasted Garlic, Pepperoncini, Jalapeño, Maple Bacon, Backyard Barbecue
- Wise Onion Rings
- McCormick: Bac’n Piece Bacon Flavored Bits
- Ritter Sport Chocolate: Marzipan
- Wrigley’s Chewing Gums: Juicy Fruit, Hubba Bubba Gum
- Tic Tacs
- Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup
- Goldenberg’s: Peanut Chews
- Sour Patch Kids
- Smarties (US version)
- Airheads Taffy
- Swedish Fish
- Smucker’s Marshmallow Ice Cream Topping
- Smucker’s Uncrustables: Peanut Butter & Grape Jelly, Peanut Butter & Strawberry Jam
- Nutter Butter: Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- Teddy Grahams: Chocolate, Cinnamon
- Top Ramen: Chili and Soy Sauce flavors
- Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls
- We have not included the obvious plant foods in the list above (fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, dried fruit, nuts, pickled vegetables, olives, etc.), but they are most definitely vegan!
- Ingredients can vary from brand to brand, so do not assume just because an item is vegan in one store that, it will also be in another.
- On Instagram? Follow @weareveganuary for regular Accidentally Vegan product posts!
- Know of any accidentally vegan products not listed above? Please contact us on Facebook, Twitter or email us at “[email protected]” and we will add it. Thank you!
A note about sugar
- In the USA, white sugar can be refined using animal bone char. (Also, don’t be fooled by the name “brown sugar,” as it is just white sugar mixed with molasses.) We include sugar-containing foods here because they are widely available and can be easy, familiar transition foods for new vegans. As you continue on your vegan journey, you may wish to call companies to determine the source of their sugar.