• 3/4 cup coconut powder
• 1-3/4 cup coconut milk
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 4 tsp vegan butter
• 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
• 1 tbsp almonds and pistachios sliced
There can’t be festivities without sweets! Make this classic Indian mithai to enjoy with friends and family.
1. Soak the coconut powder in coconut milk for about 30 minutes.
2. Bring a flat bottom pan to medium heat and add one teaspoon of vegan butter. As it melts, add sugar and spread the mixture evenly to cover the surface of the pan.
3. As the sugar starts to melt, stir continuously till the colour changes to light brown. Watch carefully as the mixture is prone to overheating and burning. Turn off the heat when done.
4. To this, gently add the coconut milk mixture and stir till the mixture turns brown.
5. Turn on heat on medium and continue stirring and scraping the sides for another 12 to 15 minutes till the mixture turns lumpy. Now add the remaining vegan butter and continue stirring till a soft dough consistency is achieved. Mix in the cardamom powder.
6. Now pour the mixture over a greased tray or plate and flatten using a greased flat spatula. Garnish with sliced almonds and pistachios.
7. Set aside to cool for a few hours and cut into pieces of your desired shape.