Recipe provided by: vegan first
Check out this meaty vegan recipe that serves four.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
250g Jackfruit (also known as Kathal) cut into equal sized cubes
2.5 tablespoons of Oil
2 small, finely chopped onions
3 finely chopped tomatoes
2-3 Green chillies
Some Fresh Coriander
1 Black cardamom
2 Green cardamom
1 tsp Coriander seeds
1 stick Cinnamon
1 tsp Jeera
2-3 Dried Red Chillies
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
Salt to taste
1⁄2 tsp Red chilli powder
1⁄2 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
1.Heat oil in a pan and fry the jackfruit cubes on medium heat till it turns light brown in colour.
2. Heat a wok (karahi) and add finely chopped onions and fry them till they turn light brown.
3. Heat a tawa, put whole seeds and dry roast them till you can smell the roasted aroma and then let it cool.
4. Grind these spices with the ginger garlic paste, a little water and 1⁄2 tsp of red chilli powder.
5. Add the ground spices to the browned onions and fry for about a few seconds.
6. Add the fried jackfruit pieces and sauté them for 2-3 minutes on medium- low heat
7. Add salt, turmeric powder and tomato purée to the mix.
8. Cover the lid and let it simmer for 10-15 min till the oil separates.
9. Check if the cubes are soft enough and then add 1 cup of water to the masala and bring to boil.
10. Add pudina leaves for a minty garnish and serve your tasty jackfruit rogan josh, hot with lemon vinegar onions on the side. It can be enjoyed with both rice and chapati.