Soft, gooey, and completely vegan friendly, these chocolate brownies have no egg or dairy but are still as tasty as ever. This brownie recipe includes instructions on how to make a prune mixture, but for a little shortcut you can use pureed prune baby food instead. Why? It stops the brownies getting too dry – trust us on this one.
Recipe serves: 16
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 30 min
- Preheat oven to 180° C, 160° C fan, Gas mark 4.
- Place prunes in a heatproof bowl, pour over 5 tablespoons of boiling water and leave to stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Liquidize the prune mixture using a hand blender until smooth and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, then add the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate, and mix well together.
- Stir through half of the chocolate then spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 20cm square tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped chocolate over the top and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until well risen.
- Check to see if your cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of each half.
- If it comes out clean, leave the cakes in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out and cooling on a wire rack. Cut into 16 squares.