Stew is a very traditional way of home cooking in my country.
This recipe came from my grandmother, then, my mom kind of improved it, added some secret ingredients (not a secret from me though) and now it’s my turn …
If you like this recipe, explore our hundreds of free vegan recipes too!
1. Sauté the onion with little bit of olive oil for a couple minutes on a high heat.
2. Add the carrots and the celery stalks.
3. When the carrots get a little bit softer, turn off the heat and put the veggies in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Using the same pot, put a layer of celery root (celeriac) and on top of it a layer of veggie mixture, and repeat to fill the pot with these layers. Add some salt and pepper on every layer.
5. Put all the citrus zest and juice on the top, add the water and another drizzle of olive oil.
6. Cut parchment paper to the same size as the pot and put it on top as the last layer.
7. Put a lid on, and start cooking over a low heat for about 40 minutes.
8. After half an hour check the liquid and tenderness (if there is not enough liquid you should add some to avoid burning the bottom).
9. After the celery roots have become soft, turn off the heat.
10. Serve, and garnish with chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil .