Recipe by All About Greens.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Assembly: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
140 g Self Raising Flour
30 g Cocoa Powder
1 tbs Cornflour
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
125 g Caster Sugar
235 ml Soy milk
1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
120 ml Sunflower Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract tsp
125 g Black cherry jam
230 g Black cherries Jar or canned
500 g Icing Sugar
125 g Vegan Butter
2 tbs Soya Milk
70 g Birds Original Custard Powder
1,000 ml Soya Milk
2 tsp Vanilla Extract tsp
2 Canned coconut milk (Chilled)
80 g Icing Sugar – for garnish
15 g Pistachios – for garnish
5 g Rose petals – for garnish
1. For the swiss roll. Preheat your oven to 160ºC Fan/Gas 3. Line a shallow baking tray approximately 30cm x 20cm with greaseproof paper.
2. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl, then add the cornflour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and sugar and stir together.
3. Pour the milk, vinegar, oil and vanilla extract into a jug and whisk until combined.
4. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir well with a light hand, be careful not to overwork the batter then pour into the prepared baking tray and bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes until cooked through and a skewer comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile for the buttercream. Add the icing sugar and butter into a food processor and blitz together. Add the soya milk, a little at a time until the buttercream starts to combine and is smooth. You want a medium to firm texture.
6. Once the cake is cooked. Leave to cool for around 5 minutes and then carefully roll into a swiss roll shape, keeping the greaseproof paper on. When cooled after around half an hour, gently unroll the log and spread with black cherry jam and the buttercream. Once again carefully re-roll the cake this time gently removing the greaseproof paper as you roll. Once rolled place the log on a piece of clingfilm and roll tightly and place in the fridge to chill until needed, you could actually freeze the cake at this stage for half an hour.
7. To assemble. Slice the swiss roll into 8-10 slices and place inside a medium size glass bowl. Drain the cherries , reserving the juice, and add to the bowl then drizzle over some of the reserved juice.
8. For the custard. Add the soya milk and vanilla extract into a pan and gently warm. Remove from the heat and add 1-2 tablespoons of the warmed milk into a jug with the Birds custard powder and sugar. Stir until you have a smooth paste and then add the rest of the milk, whisk and then pour back into the pan. Heat gently until thickened and then remove from the heat. Leave to cool for 10 minutes then pour over the sponge mixture, place in the fridge and leave to set.
9. For the topping. Remove the lids off the canned coconut and scoop the solid coconut cream into a bowl (you do not want any of the coconut water) then add the icing sugar and whisk until smooth. Pile the cream topping onto the trifle, spread evenly to the outer edges..
10. Garnish with pistachios and rose petals
1. You could use ready made custard but this will have a looser set.
2. An alternative garnish would be with leftover cherries and chocolate shavings.