This marinade has the perfect balance of saltiness from soya sauce or tamari, warmth and sweetness from ginger, a citrus tang from orange and heat from chillies. I love to serve this dish with salad or some wholemeal rice or cauliflower rice.
- Drain the water from the tofu and blot. Slice into chunky steaks approximately 1.5cm thick.
- In a container large enough to accommodate the tofu steaks, mix together the marinade ingredients: ginger, chilli, coconut sugar, tamari or soya sauce, orange zest, orange juice and black pepper. If you are using protein powder, add this to the sauce later.
- Immerse the tofu steaks. Cover and pop in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the flavours of the marinade to soak in.
- Melt coconut oil in a shallow pan. Drain the steaks from the sauce and on a low-heat pan-fry for about 8-10 mins, turning over half-way through with a fish-slice. Alternatively, you can grill the steaks (allow 9-10 mins).
- While the steaks are cooking, mix in the protein powder to the sauce (if using) and heat gently in a saucepan. Pour over the steaks. Serve. Enjoy!
Hello! I am So from SOBODYUK. I am a gym bunny, healthy food blogger & a geeky scientist! These days my lab is the kitchen! I love creating delicious, healthy, wholefood, clean-eating, nutrition-dense recipes to maximise performance & health. My recipes include paleo, low carb, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free.