These vegan shakshuka proves eggs aren’t needed at all!
In this recipe, baked chickpea and coriander falafels take the leading role.
Complete with delicious harissa spiced tomato sauce, flaked almonds and a turmeric drizzle, this will take your dinner to the next level.
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Servings: Makes 2
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 brown onion
1 red pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sumac
20g creamed coconut
20g flaked almonds
240g chickpeas (drained)
2 tsp harissa paste
400g chopped tomatoes
4 tbsp chickpea flour
Large handful of fresh coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 220C / gas mark 7 and boil a kettle.
2. Dice the onion and red pepper. Roughly chop the coriander.
3. Heat a large pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and add the brown onion and red pepper, cook for 7 mins until softened.
4. Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas. Reserve 1-2 tbsp of the liquid. In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas until they are all crushed, you can use a potato masher or a fork to do this.
5. Mix in the chickpea flour, reserved chickpea liquid, sumac, half of the ground cumin and half of the fresh coriander. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
7. Form the mix into 12 small balls to form falafels. Place the falafels on a baking tray and drizzle with 1/2 tbsp oil. Place in the oven for 15 mins until turning golden.
8. Add the chopped tomatoes, harissa paste and remaining ground cumin to the onion and pepper pan. Season with sea salt and black pepper and cook for 15 mins until thickened.
9. Meanwhile, make the turmeric drizzle; dissolve the creamed coconut in 30ml boiling water and stir in the turmeric with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
10. Spoon the tomato shakshuka into two warm bowls (or serve in the pan) and nestle the falafels into the sauce. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds, remaining coriander and spoon over the turmeric drizzle.
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!