These little sweet yet tangy hot desserts are easy to make and look lovely when served. Use lemons or limes – or a combination of the two.
- Use individual ramekins (little oven-proof dishes)
Read the recipe carefully before you start – especially the sauce and lemon juice/hot water part at the end – then get everything weighed out and ready. Now go, you vegan chef…
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 – you will need to put it on for at least 10 minutes to make sure the oven is properly hot before you mix together the pudding batter. If using a fan-assisted oven, reduce the heat by about 10-15 degrees.
- Put kettle on to boil.
- Lightly oil 6 oven-proof ramekin dishes (the white ones are usually fine).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a jug or smaller bowl, whisk together the wet batter ingredients then add to the dry batter ingredients and mix well.
- Place in the ramekins.
- Make the dry sauce by first whisking together the flour and sugar. Sprinkle this DRY mixture quickly and evenly over the batter in each ramekin.
- Now very quickly make the wet sauce: mix the lemon/lime juice with the boiling water and pour evenly over each ramekin. Yes, really! DO NOT STIR.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden and the puddings are still slightly gooey inside – test with a toothpick. If using a fan-assisted oven, check after 15 minutes. If too gooey, return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes until done.