A fantastically simple chocolate cake from Ms. Cupcake - the UK's first entirely vegan bakery based in Brixton, London.
For the cake:
- Grease 2 round 8, 9 or 10″ cake tins and preheat oven to about 185 C.
- Stir all the dry ingredients together (flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder) and then add the wet ingredients in (plant milk, oil and vanilla) remembering to stir just until mixed. Spoon the cake mixture into a prepared tin. Repeat process for the second layer.
- Tap each tray onto the work surface to stop the raising agents working too quickly – you will see the bubbles pop. Bake about 20 minutes.
- Cool for about 10-15 minutes and then remove cakes from tins and cool completely on a wire rack. Put the layers into a plastic air tight container for at least 2 hours before decorating.
For the icing:
- Using an electric mixer (or a hand-held mixer), whip together the vegetable fat, margarine and vanilla until creamy (about 1 minute). Add half of the icing sugar and all the cocoa powder.
- Continue mixing (slowly at first and then bringing up to speed) mixing until combined. Add the rest of the icing sugar and slowly drip in the plant-based milk until it reaches your desired consistency.
You do not need to add all of the plant-based milk if you feel it is soft enough!
Spread some of the chocolate icing between the 2 cake sponges and sandwich together. Spread the remaining icing on the top and along the sides of the cake if you wish. Add vegan sweets, sprinkles and chocolates to your heart’s content!