2 garlic cloves
240g kidney beans (drained)
120g chestnut mushrooms
1 handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 vegetable stock cube
2 large tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
Perfect for cosy nights in: a comforting hotpot with earthy mushroom, vitamin-rich kale and filling kidney beans. We top with crisp parsnip slivers and drizzle with fragrant parsley and walnut pesto. This recipe has been approved by British Heart Foundation dietitians, helping to support heart and circulatory health.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 37 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 200C / fan 180C / gas mark 6.
2. Peel the parsnip, then slice into very thin rounds. Place on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tsp oil.
3. Bake for 20 mins, until beginning to crisp, turning halfway.
4. Finely chop or crush the garlic. Dice the aubergine into 2cm chunks. Drain the half tin of beans and rinse. Thinly slice the kale leaves.
5. Heat a large saucepan with 1/2 tsp oil on a medium heat. Add the aubergine and cook for 5 mins, until softened. Add half the garlic and cook for another 2 mins, until fragrant. Add the beans and tomato puree, then crumble in the half stock cube. Stir well and simmer for 5 mins. Add the kale to the pan and continue to cook for a further 5 mins.
6. Meanwhile, finely chop the parsley and walnuts. Quarter the lemon.
7. Make the pesto: add the parsley and walnuts to a bowl with the remaining garlic, 1/2 tbsp olive oil and the juice from a quarter of the lemon. Season with black pepper and mix well.
8. Serve the hotpot topped with a layer of parsnip crisps. Drizzle over the parsley and walnut pesto.