Sometimes you just need a pure and simple, yet, fantastically delicious vegan vanilla cupcake! Makes 12 cupcakes.
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, line 12 spots in a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients: almond milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and oil. Set aside. You may notice the milk will start to curdle, but don’t worry! It’s suppose to.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Stir well.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while stirring. Make sure all flour is scraped from the sides and bottom of the bowl. Be mindful to not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners just until they are about 3/4 full. Use a second cupcake tin with extra paper liners, if needed.
- Bake on the top rack of your preheated oven for 19-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted down the center of each cupcake comes out clean with no batter. Allow them to sit in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before frosting, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- While the cupcakes cool, use this time to make your frosting. Using an electric stand or hand mixer, cream the shortening on a medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Then, add half of the powdered sugar and half of the almond milk and mix on high for about 30 seconds.
- Next, add the salt and remaining sugar and almond milk. Mix on high again for another 30 seconds. If you feel the frosting should be slightly thicker, add a spoonful or so more of powdered sugar. For slightly thinner frosting, add a splash or two of almond milk – but be careful – a little goes a long way!
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spoon or spatula and incorporate what was stuck to the sides into the frosting.
- Frost cupcakes the old fashioned way with a butter knife or offset spatula, or place the frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a decorating tip!