1 pack of The Vegetarian Butcher’s Vegan Chicken Chunks
1 garlic clove
A small piece (about 25g) of fresh ginger
1 small red chilli pepper
4 spring onions
1 Shanghai bok choy or part of a regular bok choy
1 ½ tsp curry powder
Groundnut (peanut) or sunflower oil
2 tsp hot thick pepper sauce (such as sambal oelek)
750ml vegetable stock
2–3 tbsp sweet soy sauce (such as Indonesian kecap manis, or thick Chinese sweet soy sauce)
150g rice noodles
10 sprigs of fresh coriander
A few drops of sesame oil
Spice up boring meal times with this spicy vegan chicken noodle soup by The Vegetarian Butcher. Fragrant, comforting and delicious, it’s a simple one-pot meal you can enjoy all year-round using fridge leftovers.
1. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Peel and grate the ginger. Remove the stem and seeds of the red pepper and slice into thin rings. Cut the spring onions diagonally into thin rings; reserve some of the green rings for garnishing the soup. Peel the carrot and cut into very thin strips.
2. Chop the tomato. Leave the smaller green bok choy leaves whole; cut the larger ones into pieces and slice the white stems into thin arches.
3. Mix the curry powder into the vegan chicken chunks. Place a wok over high heat and add a splash of oil. Add the chicken chunks to the wok along with the ginger, chilli pepper rings, most of the spring onion, and the carrot strips and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
4. Add the chopped tomato, the white bok choy stem slices, and 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce. Stir-fry for 1 minute more.
5. Pour in the stock and 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce and bring to a boil. Add the green bok choy leaves and allow to cook gently for a few minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook the noodles until done according to the packet instructions. Tip the noodles into a colander, rinse with cold water, and allow to drain.
7. Taste the soup and add a little more sweet soy sauce and hot pepper sauce if you like. Divide the noodles over 2 large bowls, and add the soup with chicken chunks.
8. Tear the fresh coriander leaves into pieces over the bowls, sprinkle with the reserved spring onions, and drizzle with a little sesame oil.
If you loved this dish, explore even more vegan chicken recipes!
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!