This makes enough for 6 normal portions or 4 greedy portions!
- Fry the onion and garlic, herbs and seasoning in some oil until a little soft.
- Add the mushrooms and “meat” strips and fry until the strips start to look browned
- Add the ale and sprinkle in the gravy granules, a tablespoon at a time until it starts to thicken. Make sure the gravy isn’t watery, as it will make the pastry really soggy. It just needs to cover the ingredients in the pan.
- Roll out the pastry, line a roasting dish with it and place the pie filling in the dish. Place the pastry on the top and squash the edges of the bottom layer and the top of the pie together with a fork. If you want less pastry, you can leave off the bottom layer and just have top. Don’t worry if it looks a mess, when the pasty puffs up, it will look fab! And if the gravy overflows and runs out, even better!
- Cook at 200 degrees for about half an hour, of until the pastry looks nice and brown.