Recipe by Paul McCartney
This is a fantastic salad that can accompany whatever you fancy — here it's served with tofu, but you could just as easily serve it with a veggie burger or vegetarian sausages, as well as chips and new or mashed potatoes. You can also vary the steamed vegetables according to what’s in season.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6 and roast the cherry tomatoes for 10 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of a pan with cold water and place a steamer above it. Put the broccoli, green beans and carrots in the steamer, turn the heat on quite high and steam for about 15 minutes, occasionally prodding the carrots with a fork to see if they are done. Some people like them slightly crunchy, others prefer them a little softer.
- While the vegetables are steaming, make a salad with the leaves and spring onions.
- Combine the polenta and herbs in a bowl. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Dip the tofu in the polenta mixture, then fry until golden.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing, but only pour over at the last minute.
- Assemble your meal by first putting the salad on the plate, then the warm vegetables and finally the tofu. Pour over the dressing then add a little seasoning sauce such as Braggs or a sauce of your choice.
Recipe taken from The Meat Free Monday Cookbook. Foreword by Paul, Mary and Stella McCartney. Published by Kyle Books. Photography by Tara Fisher.
Find more great-tasting recipes on the Meat Free Monday website here.*
*Please note that this website also produces vegetarian recipes.