A Mindful version of the Chinese sweet and sour classic cooked with yellow pepper and onion alongside deliciously crispy kale, brown rice and crunchy cashew nuts.
Cooking Time: 55 minutes (approximately)
Prep Time: 15 minutes (approximately)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4 and boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and place into a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins until cooked, then drain.
2. Cut the yellow pepper and onion into bite-sized pieces. Roughly chop the kale. Finely chop the chilli (remove the seeds for less heat). Drain and rinse the tofu, pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes.
3. To make the sweet and sour sauce; in a small bowl mix together the tamari, tomato puree, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and half of the chilli with 2 tbsp cold water.
4. Place the cornflour into a bowl with a pinch of sea salt. Place the tofu cubes into the bowl and coat evenly.
5. Place the kale on a baking tray with a pinch of sea salt and combine with 1 tsp oil, spread out into an even layer. Place in the oven for 10 mins until turning crispy.
6. Heat a large wok or frying pan with 2 tsp oil on a medium-high heat and cook the tofu for 10 mins, turning occasionally until turning golden. Then add the onion and pepper and cook for 5 mins until softening. Add in the sauce and turn down the heat. Cook for 1-2 mins until the sauce has thickened.
7. Spoon the brown rice into two warm bowls alongside the sweet and sour tofu and crispy kale. Sprinkle with the cashew nuts and remaining chilli (if desired).
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!