A one-pan wonder! Easy to make, packed full of flavour and low in fat, tofu scramble is a delicious addition to your weekend brunch. This is one of those vegan meals that everyone has their own formula for, so you can adapt this recipe to suit your particular tastes. Serve on toast for a light breakfast, with delicious savoury muffins or pancakes for brunch, or add it to your cooked breakfast plate.
- This recipe makes two large portions (leftovers are great in sandwiches with vegan mayo and Tofurkey or Fieldroast deli slices).
- Heat the oil on a moderate heat in a large pan. Add the onion, garlic and chilli and cook gently until the onion is soft and the garlic has browned a little.
- Add the spices and stir. Leave to cook for a minute – this helps to release the flavours and prevent bitterness.
- Add the tofu and mash with a fork to break it down into smallish chunks. Stir to combine and leave to cook for a couple of minutes before adding the vinegar and soy/aminos. Stir again.
- Allow the scramble to cook gently for 20 minutes, or until you have the consistency you want. The longer you cook it, the drier it will be.
- To finish, add the thyme and black pepper.