One recipe - many meals! This vegan version of the traditional Spanish omelette is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s also a nice simple introduction to chickpea flour if you are new to it. Once you have made your tortilla you can; have it with a great big salad for lunch, make a tortilla, salad and hummus baguette, have it cold or reheat it for breakfast, or pack it for lunch.
1) Shallow fry the onions and potatoes for around five minutes, or until the potatoes begin to soften, remove from the oil and place aside in a bowl
2) Put chick pea flour in a bowl and slowly add cold water while mixing until you get a consistency similar to pancake batter, pour over the potatoes and onions, season with salt and pepper and mix well
3) Pour the mixture back into your reasonably well oiled frying pan and cook over a medium heat or until the edges and top begin to solidify
4) Here comes the fun part! Take a dinner plate, run it quickly under the tap to dampen it, place it over the top of your frying pan and tip then tip the pan upside down so that the tortilla end up on your plate
5) Gently slide the tortilla back into the pan, sometimes it will need a little encouragement from a spoon or spatula as it won’t be firm, don’t worry, this is normal!
6) Cook for another few minutes, let cool and enjoy!
Like this recipe and want to try more? Sign up with Veganuary today for recipes delivered straight to your inbox.