Kids love these! Big kids love them too. The taste of the seaweed with the texture of the jackfruit makes this the perfect substitution for fish fingers. Plus it's a very easy recipe. Serve them with mashed potato and baked beans or steamed mangetout with capers and sliced avocado.
- Toast the nori is a dry frying pan on a high heat until it starts to blacken and crumple. Put the nori into the chopper attachment of a hand blender or a food processor. Grind until it is small flakes, put into a large bowl.
- Add the jackfruit to the blender or food processor and mix until it is flakes but not so much that it becomes mush, put this into the large bowl.
- Heat a little oil, fry the leeks on a low heat until soft. Add the leeks, chickpeas, salt, blend untill smooth, add to the large bowl and mix everything well. Roll out between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper, cut into 10 slices
- Pour the breadcrumbs onto a plate, take one slice of the mixture, squeeze between your hands (this will hold them together more when cooking), roll in the breadcrumbs. Do this with all of the mixture
- Pour a thin layer of oil into a frying pan, heat till very hot, fry the ‘fish’fingers on each side till browned and crispy
- Drain on kitchen roll to get rid of any excess oil.
Serve with avocado, tomato salad or an aioli dip.