I love Mexican food, and I like to eat all my favourite things on one plate! This is great served with flour or corn tortillas, tacos, or just on its own.
What’s on the plate?
Black Rice – I’ve been obsessed with this ever since I was introduced to it by Jane, and I love the fact that it has bite and is really easy to cook. 1 part rice to 2 parts water, bring to boil, turn down and simmer for 40 minutes. Works perfectly every time. I buy the Biona black rice, but you should be able to find it in most supermarkets.
Refried Beans – I’ve been a refried bean fan ever since I was a kid. Great in nachos as well, but lovely here because of their creamy flavour. You buy it in cans, and you’ll find them in the Mexican section.
Guacamole – I always make my own, as it is so much tastier, really easy and doesn’t have any sour cream sneaked in (many store-made guacs do, so always check the label before you buy). My ‘go-to’ recipe is this:
- Mash up 2 ripe avocados with a fork
- Finely dice some red onion (about half a small one) and a stalk of spring onion – add to bowl
- Finely dice one red chilli (up to you if you keep the seeds or not!) – add to bowl
- Chop up about 6-8 cherry tomatoes into little pieces (in half and then in half again at least) – add to bowl
- Squeeze in the juice of about half a lemon – do this to taste. You can always add more lemon, so start off with a little first
- Salt and cracked pepper
If you don’t have any fresh chilli then you can use a hot sauce, like Tabasco, instead. And if you’re not keen on heat, then just leave the chilli out altogether.
Chilli Non Carne – Full recipe here