2 cups of almonds (either blanched or skinned is fine)
9 cups cold water
Making your own almond milk is so easy! And this recipe doesn’t contain any preservatives, artificial sweeteners, or other additives. What’s not to love about this milky marvel?
Makes approx. 3 pints (halve the recipe if you need less)
1. Add the almonds to a bowl and fully cover with cold water.
2. Soak overnight or for at least 8 hours. You may need to top the water up the next day if you’re not using them immediately, as they soak it up and expand.
* Time Saving Tip *
In a hurry? Pour boiling water over the almonds, soak for two hours and they will soften quick enough to use.
3. Drain and rinse until the water runs clear. The nuts will have expanded and you’ll now have almost 3 cups worth, so measure out 1 cup and add to the food processor.
4. Blitz for 20 seconds until they’re broken into tiny crumb-like pieces, then pour in 3 cups of chilled water and blitz again for another 30 seconds. Stretch the jam-straining bag over the edges of the bowl, and pour the mixture in.
5. After two minutes, gently squeeze the outside of the bag to get as much milk out of the pulp as possible. Set the pulp aside and repeat the steps twice more.
* Time Saving Tip *
If you’re making this regularly, using a jam bag stand makes the process easier.
6. Once you’ve finished, rinse your straining bag and leave to dry naturally. Look after it this way and it can be reused over and over again.
* Top Tip *
You can use the leftover pulp as almond ‘flour’ for other recipes like our ginger nut crunch muesli. Simply spread out on a baking tray and ‘dry out’ for 1 hour in a 125c oven. Once cool, store in an airtight jar.
7. Pour the milk into glass containers that have airtight lids. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days; as the milk doesn’t contain emulsifiers, it will naturally separate in the bottle. Simply shake well each time before using and enjoy the goodness of your own homemade almond milk – it’s perfect for breakfast, fresh fruit smoothies, ice lollies, or as an everyday delicious milk substitute!
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!