80ml melted coconut oil (can also use vegetable/sunflower or other mild oils)
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g wholewheat flour
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g granulated sugar
100ml of your preferred plant-based milk
2 flax “eggs” (2tbsp ground flax mixed with 6 tbsp water)
3 ripe medium bananas
These banana breakfast muffins are spot on for the morning, as bananas are perfect for that slow-release energy boost which keeps you going until lunch.
This recipe is also a great way to work ground flaxseed into your diet. That stuff is magical! It’s chock full of omega-3 essential fatty acids, antioxidants and fibre among many other things.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Note: These will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container, or you can individually freeze them once completely cooled. Individual freezing is a great method for those who struggle to make time for breakfast as you can take one out of the freezer and place it into the fridge the day before and it’s ready to grab the next morning.
1. Mix up the two flax “eggs” by adding the ground flax to the water and set to one side. Pre-heat the oven to 350f / 185c / Gas Mark 5.
2. Combine the wholewheat flour, self-raising flour, baking powder and granulated sugar in a bowl.
3. Mash the bananas and to this add your plant-based milk of choice oil, vanilla and two flax “eggs”. Stir well to combine all of the ingredients.
4. Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and add the wet and dry mix together until they are combined. Don’t over-mix as you will rid the batter of air and give it less of a rise when baking.
5. Spoon your mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 18-22 minutes. Before putting them into the oven, you might like to sprinkle a little more ground flax over the top but it’s not essential.
6. You will know they’re done when you insert a toothpick and it comes out dry. Once there is no batter on the toothpick, remove from the oven as over-baking will lead to dried out muffins.
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!