This vegan chocolate and hazelnut Swiss roll is deliciously nostalgic. You can still enjoy your favourite desserts without eggs and dairy, and this vegan Swiss roll recipe proves just that!
Cooking time: 17 minutes
Prep time: 1 hour
For the sponge:
¼ tsp cream of tartar
90ml plant milk
1tbs apple cider vinegar
160g plain flour
190g caster sugar
40g cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
75ml vegetable oil
Icing sugar for dusting
For the whipped ganache filling:
100g Rhythm 108 vegan hazelnut truffle bar (or similar)
75ml vegan pouring cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180c fan. Grease and line a baking tray (roughly 33 x 25cm) with parchment paper.
2. Pour the aquafaba and the cream of tartar into the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium-high speed until stiff peaks are formed. This means the aquafaba doesn’t move even when tipped upside down.
3. Meanwhile, place the plant milk into the microwave for 1 minute to warm through, this can also be done in a pan over a medium heat on the hob. Add in the apple cider vinegar and stir, place to the side.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the plain flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix with a whisk until fully combined.
5. Add the oil and the milk/apple cider vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined. The mixture will be very stiff and dry at this point but that’s normal.
6. Gently fold the aquafaba into the mixture one spoon at a time, trying not to knock too much air out. It will become a much looser mixture as you add more aquafaba.
7. Pour the mixture into the lined baking tray, and level out the top until smooth.
8. Place in the oven for 12-15mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Whilst the sponge is baking, lay out a piece of parchment paper the size of the sponge and cover with a light sprinkle of caster sugar.
9. Once the sponge is fully baked, tip it out top side down onto the parchment covered in sugar. Peel off the parchment paper on the bottom of the sponge.
10. Use a sharp knife to make an incision an inch into the short side of the sponge, being carefully to only cut half way into the sponge and not the full way through (this just makes it easier to roll).
11. Carefully roll up the sponge with the parchment still inside (this stops it from sticking together) and leave to cool rolled up.
12. Meanwhile, for the filling, warm the cream until it is steaming (either 1-2minutes in the microwave or over a medium heat on the hob). Once the cream is steaming hot, break up your Rhythm 108 hazelnut truffle bar into chunks and place into the cream. Leave to stand for 1 minute, then stir until a glossy mixture is formed, with no lumps of chocolate.
13. Place this in the fridge to set. Once the ganache has hardened, place into a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer and whip up on medium high until you get a light and fluffy filling.
14. Once the sponge is cool, unroll carefully, then fill with the whipped ganache, spreading out evenly over the sponge.
15. Gently roll back up to form your perfect swiss roll! Don’t panic if there are a few cracks…it looks just as perfect. You can finish by cutting off the edges and dusting lightly with icing sugar!
Explore more vegan baking tips to make plant-based showstoppers!
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!