Makes 5 – 6 balls.
- Whizz up the almonds in your food processor to break them up into small pieces.
- Add 15 of the dates and 1 tbsp cacao powder. Process until sticky dough is formed.
- Remove the mixture from your processor and put in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden up a bit.
- Soak the remaining dates in boiled water for 5 minutes to soften.
- Drain them, keeping a drop of the water and then using a hand blender, blend them up until smooth.
- Add the almond butter and optional vanilla powder. Give it a good mix.
- Get the mixture out of the freezer and roll into small balls, then flatten out.
- Put a dollop of the caramel mixture in the middle and fold the sides up around it.
- Make a lid with another bit of the ‘dough’ and put it on top of the caramel.
- Gently smooth it around and roll into balls using your hands.
- Repeat until you have used everything up.
- Put back in the freezer for an hour.
- Melt the coconut oil on a low heat. Using the maple syrup, 3 tbsp cacao and coconut oil, mix it all up to make chocolate.
- Take your balls out of the freezer and coat them in the chocolate.
- Put back in the freezer for 5 minutes for the outside chocolate to set.