Featuring a Beyond Meat vegan patty, grilled aubergine and semi-dried tomatoes for smoky, umami notes, Violife Cheddar, zucchini straws for crunch and a tart mustard mayo, this vegan burger packs a punch – for Veganuary and beyond!
- First, prepare the aubergine: sprinkle the discs lightly with salt and leave for 30 minutes to 1 hour before patting dry with kitchen paper. Heat a grill pan or griddle on high, then toss in the aubergine slices with the olive oil. Grill until browned, roughly 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Set the aubergines aside and prepare the courgette: wash, pat dry and trim the courgettes. Cut into thin chips, place in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and mix thoroughly. Then add almond milk enough to cover courgettes. Leave for 30 minutes, so they have time to release any bitter juices. If you have a deep-fat fryer, heat the oil to 180°C. If not, choose a sturdy deep saucepan with jam thermometer clipped to the side, or alternatively heat to medium low.
- Pour the plain flour into a large mixing bowl. Season with a good sprinkle of salt and black pepper, and the cayenne pepper. Drain the milk from the courgettes, then toss the courgettes into the flour until they’re lightly coated. Fry for 2–3 minutes, or until golden and crisp, then tip on to crumpled kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- Next, reheat the grill pan or griddle and grill the Beyond Meat patties until browned, roughly 2 minutes on each side.
- Finally, build your burger: spread the bottom half of your sliced brioche or ciabatta with a thick layer of the mustard mayo. Add rocket, followed by the tomato, onion, grilled aubergine, Beyond Meat Patty, Violife cheddar, smoked semi-dried tomatoes and lastly the crispy courgettes. Top with the second half of the bun, press down lightly and serve immediately.
Alternatively, for the full Beyond Le Fumé experience, head to any Haché, where it’ll be served tableside in a smoke-filled dome!