1 can organic kidney beans
1 can organic chickpeas
2 cans organic chopped tomatoes
2 large potatoes, washed
150g fresh parsley
2 ripe avocadoes
900g raw spinach
2 cloves garlic
4 ripe tomatoes
150g fresh basil
Juice of half a lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 springs fresh rosemary
1/2 tbsp cumin
Salt and pepper
Loaf of fresh sourdough bread
The “Full English” is a cultural institution, but a vegan big breakfast is so much better! Veganising your breakfast means the food will actually fuel you up as well as taste really good. No cholesterol, no bloated tummy and no napping afterwards.
Get ready to be filled with vegan deliciousness. Breakfast style.
1) Turn your oven on to a low heat
2) Begin by chopping your potatoes into large chunks, ready for boiling
3) Place a large saucepan of water on to boil
4) Dice your onion and garlic. Leave half the garlic for your mushrooms and the other half for the beans.
5) Slice mushrooms in half
1) When water is boiling – place your potatoes in. Leave for approximately 15 minutes or until soft.
2) Meanwhile, heat your sunflower oil in a large Wok or frying pan. Add onion and half the garlic. Saute until brown.
3) Add the canned tomatoes, kidney beans, chickpeas, cumin and about 1/2 cup diced basil. Leave to simmer on a low heat. This should gradually thicken, so by the time you are ready to serve – you have a thick spicy bean mixture! Add salt and pepper to taste. Ideally this should have about 40 minutes to an hour to simmer and let the flavours marinate.
4) When your potatoes are cooked, drain out all the water and mash roughly with a masher or fork. Leave them nice and chunky and the skin on! Add your parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, salt and pepper and continue to stir and combine all together.
5) Make small potato cakes with your hands and set aside.
6) Add a little bit of oil into a frying pan and fry off your potato cakes for a few minutes on both sides.
7) Once all are browned on both sides, pop them into the oven to stay warm until serving time.
8) In the same frying pan – add your sunflower oil, chopped garlic and mushrooms. Saute these over a medium heat until your mushrooms are cooked and nice and garlic-y. Add the spinach, rosemary and a sprinkling of salt and pepper closer to serving time.
9) About ten minutes before serving: halve your whole tomatoes and place them under the grill for a few minutes with a sprinkling of salt and pepper and a little drizzle of olive oil.
10) Flan your avocado by halving, removing the stone, scooping out each half with a spoon to separate from the skin and then slicing into a nice flan. Set aside.
11) Slice your sourdough nice and thickly – you can optionally toast this and add some vegan butter or olive oil!
12) Assemble your breakfast. Begin with your slice of sourdough and around it. Arrange the potato cakes, spicy beans, mushrooms and spinach mixture, tomato and avocado. Finish your dish with a lovely spring of fresh rosemary.
Why not try this sweet vegan fry up too?
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!