Aromatic, crispy and delicious, this vegan katsu curry will give restaurants a run for their money! Using tofu instead of chicken, this delicious dish makes a great weekend treat.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Half a medium butternut squash OR 1 large aubergine OR 1 block smoked tofu
2 large garlic cloves
15g root ginger
1tsp garam masala
2tsp curry powder
½tsp ground turmeric
35g gluten-free cornflakes (blitzed in a blender) or breadcrumbs
1tbsp sashimi togarashi (optional)
120g short grain rice
1. Preheat your oven to 200C/390F/GM6.
2. Chop squash into slices, around 2cm wide. There is no need to peel them at this stage.
3. Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 mins. (If using aubergine you can griddle it. If using tofu you can bake with a small amount of oil for around 20 mins.)
4. To make the sauce, roughly chop the onion and garlic cloves. Then chop the ginger, slightly smaller than the onion and garlic. Then add to a blender and blend until smooth.
5. To make the sauce add some oil to a pan on a medium heat. Add the paste, making sure to stir often. If it begins to stick you can add a little water. Cook until golden brown. Add garam masala, curry powder and ground turmeric and mix for a minute. Then slowly add more water until you get the desired sauce consistency. Then add a little more water and leave on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove the skins from roasted squash pieces.
7. Add 3tbsp water to the cornflour/cornstarch and mix in a bowl.
8. In a separate bowl add the cornflakes or breadcrumbs the salt and sashimi togarashi then mix.
9. Dip the squash pieces into the cornflour mix and then press into the breadcrumb mix and fry in a pan with a little oil. Repeat this with all the pieces and cook until golden brown.
10. Assemble the rice, sauce and butternut pieces on a plate and enjoy!
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!