This vegan Pumpkin Macaroni Cheese recipe gives a warming and comforting classic a healthy, autumnal make-over.
- Add the pumpkin, onions, vegetable stock, garlic, mustard, nutmeg and black pepper to a large pan.
- Place the pan over a medium heat, cover and cook gently for around thirty minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin is tender.
- Set the pan aside to cool a little and bring a fresh pan of water to the boil. Once boiling, add the macaroni to the water and cook according to the pasta’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, add the pumpkin mix to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and return to the pan. Add the pumpkin sauce and mix well to coat the macaroni fully.
- Return the pan to a medium heat, add the cornflour paste and stir to thicken.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the nutritional yeast, season with extra black pepper if desired and serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top.