A vegan take on a classic, prepared especially for Veganuary by a master chef.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti (I use Garofalo) al dente.
- In the meantime, blanch the tomatoes in boiling water until the skin breaks – immediately remove them from the boiling water, and plunge them into cold (I do mine in the kitchen sink!).
- Remove the seeds and skin and cut the tomatoes into quarters.
- In a food processor place the rinsed and dried capers, almonds, garlic, basil and chilli and blitz to a fine paste. To achieve a smooth finish of the pesto add 4 of the 8 tbsps. of EVOO.
- When the pasta is cooked, in a large pan place the diced tomatoes, the pesto and warm through at low heat, add the pasta, stir well and (to add some crunchiness) sprinkle some bread crumbs.
- Serve immediately. Wonderful!