Traditional Irish brown bread and soda bread are both made with real butter and butter milk. So it’s an old breakfast staple that I’ve had to let go of! I haven’t got around to attempting a vegan recipe for brown bread yet…but my good mother, the great cook/baker that she is, managed to adapt a recipe for porridge bread – which is VERY similar to brown bread (if my memory serves me correctly).
Preheat oven to 180 c/ 350 f/ Gas mark 4.
- Line your bread tin with greaseproof paper or grease it with oil or soya butter.
- Add the full tub of Alpro yoghurt to a large bowl.
- Fill the empty yoghurt tub with oats and pour that amount into the bowl with the yoghurt. Scrape out any bits sticking to the sides.
- Repeat this step so you should have 2 yoghurt tub measures full of porridge oats in the bowl.
- Add all the rest of your ingredients to the bowl too.
- Fold all your ingredients together.
- If it seems a bit dry add another tbsp of milk until the mixture is like a wet oaty dough.
- When the mixture is well combined add it to your bread tin and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the seeds over the top.
- Bake for approx. 45 – 55 minutes and when it is 10 minutes from the end take the bread out of the tin and turn it upside down in the tine and put back into the oven. Cook it like that for the last 10 minutes.
- When it’s ready take it out and turn it upside down on a wire rack and leave it until it’s cool. Then enjoy!