100g Planted chicken (or similar)
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp garlic granulate
1 tsp ginger
2 tbsp sunflower oil
100g wild rice
60g/ 1pcs carrots
80g/2pcs spring onions
80g/10 pcs Shimeji mushroom
2 pcs yellow pepperoncini
2 tbsp sunflower oil
¼ bunch coriander
1 tbsp roasted sesame
1 pcs lime
80g/4 tbsp soy sauce
25g/2 tbsp Sambal sauce
20g/1 pcs lime juice
10g ginger (fresh and chopped)
120g/ 6 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp corn starch
Vegan chicken fried rice is just as good as the original if you ask us! Tuck into this plant-based fried rice on a Friday night as a weekend treat and you’ll never look back.
Recipe by Planted.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1. Cook the wild rice in salted boiling water for about 16 minutes, Drain the rice.
2. Fluff the rice with a fork. Transfer to a small baking sheet and spread out in a thin layer to cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients.
3. Marinate the chicken with salt, cayenne pepper, turmeric, garlic granulate, fresh chopped ginger and sunflower oil for 30 minutes.
4. In a saucepan put part of the soy sauce with the corn-starch diluted with water, bring to the boil then add the sambal sauce, the second part of the soy sauce, the lime juice and chop the fresh ginger.
5. Cut the carrots into thin strips. Finely chop the white of the onion, thinly slice the green part, washed the shimeji mushrooms.
6. In a hot pan with a drizzle of sunflower oil, brown the carrots and shimeji mushrooms for a few minutes, add the sliced white onions and fresh ginger. Reserve the sautéed vegetable mixture.
7. In a frying pan with a little oil add the rice and fry it on low power for 15 minutes, to slowly evacuate the humidity, increase the power to obtain a little crispiness and caramelisation on the surface.
8. Add to rice the mixed vegetables and 3 tablespoons of sambal sauce, mix and fry it over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly
9. In another skillet with a little oil, brown the marinated chicken pieces with the small yellow pepperoncini. Cook 2 minutes on each side until nicely browned and add the rice mixture to the chicken.
10. Fry the mixture for a few minutes, add 2/3 tablespoons of sambal sauce mix and sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro, roasted sesame seeds, lime zest and juice.
Looking for more vegan fakeaway ideas? Try this prawn-style chow mein.
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!