Sweet potato – 2/3 cup or 100g
Nutritional yeast – 2 heaped tablespoons
White or brown miso paste – ½ teaspoon
Beer (can be regular, gluten-free or alcohol-free) – 160ml
Plant milk – 160ml
Cider or white wine or rice wine vinegar – ½ teaspoon
Onion powder – 1 teaspoon
Garlic powder – 1 teaspoon
Potato starch – 1 heaped tablespoon (or corn starch – 1.5 heaped teaspoon)
Tapioca starch – heaped teaspoon
Rapeseed oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt – ¼ tsp
This creamy, rich and super cheesy vegan sauce is guaranteed to be a massive favourite and home cooking staple.
It’s not only nut-free and gluten-free adaptable but it goes with EVERYTHING – from a comforting mac or cauliflower cheese to pulled jackfruit nachos and quesadillas.
Makes: 500ml Beer Cheese sauce
Total time: 20mins
Tip: Once you’ve made a batch you can easily keep it in the fridge for up to three days, or portion it out and freeze it for up to a month to use when you need it. Just defrost and heat!
1. Peel the sweet potato, dice into cubes, and boil for ten minutes or until soft. When ready, drain.
2. Whilst the sweet potato is boiling, put the rest of the ingredients into a blender or Nutribullet, starting with the wet ingredients, then adding the dry ones. Add your cooked sweet potato when ready.
3. Blend until smooth and creamy.
4. At this point, set aside any sauce you don’t want to use right away and pop in the fridge or freezer.
5. To cook the sauce, pour into a non-stick saucepan or frying pan on a medium heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens and is hot but not boiling, then turn the heat down as it thickens. Make sure to stir continually with a flat-bottomed spatula to stop anything sticking to the pan.
6. When the sauce is thick and silky like a custard, take off the heat and add it to your favourite recipe immediately!
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!