You need never again stare at the unused parsnips in your fridge because here’s a stunningly quick way to use them. Red beans look particularly pretty but the dish works well with black beans too.
Serves 4-8 – depending on whether it is served as a side dish or main course
- Put parsnip pieces on to steam – about 15 minutes, but test with a sharp knife after 10. You want neither hard and woody nor mushy.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Lightly cook garlic, chilli and ginger for 1-2 minutes. Add cumin powder and cook a further minute, stirring well. Take off the heat and set aside.
- When parsnips are cooked, add to the pan with garlic mixture and heat through, gently stirring.
- Add coconut milk and heat to a simmer. Add lime zest, lime juice and beans. Stir in well, ensuring heated through. Check seasoning.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve immediately.