If you love entertaining and are looking for something a little different to delight your guests, go for a twist on typical finger food with sweet canapés. Try our chic and summery Fruit Nigiri Sushi and be sure to make an impact!
- Rinse the rice well using a sieve until the water runs clear. Drain thoroughly in a colander and allow to dry for 20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice with the cold water and bring to a boil over a high heat. Cover and cook over a moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to a low heat and cook for a further 10 minutes. The rice should be tender and the water absorbed.
- Remove from the heat but keep covered and stand for 15 minutes.
- (Alternatively, if you have a rice cooker, that can be used to cook the rice.)
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the coconut milk, sugar, salt, cardamom pods and optional mirin. Warm over a low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove the cardamom pods and allow the coconut mixture to cool a little.
- Add to the rice and gently stir through. Keep stirring until all the liquid is incorporated. Cover the rice with a clean damp tea towel.
- Take spoonfuls of rice, one at a time, and shape into rectangles with rounded ends. Press firmly but gently without squashing the rice.
- Brush the top of each piece of nigiri with jam and top with a fruit slice, applying just enough pressure to secure it in place.
- Do not refrigerate the nigiri before serving. Consume the same day. Serve with small dipping bowls of raspberry coulis, if desired.
Like this recipe? Sign up to Veganuary today to get recipes like this delivered directly to your inbox.