I won’t take credit for this recipe because it was my mum’s creation but it is so good that I have to share it with you. It’s so straightforward too.
- Wash and peel all the veg and cut them into large chunks at an angle.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan and add the chopped onions once melted.
- Cook the onions until they soften and are coated in the butter. Around 4 minutes maybe.
- Add the herbs then and stir to coat the onions in the herbs.
- Then add the flour and stir to make sure this mixture doesn’t stick to the pan. Let the flour and the herbs cook with the onions for a few minutes so the butter absorbs the flavour.
- Then add the stock very slowly. Add in just a little bit at a time stirring all the time. This will form a kind of gravy-like liquid.
- Then add in the rest of the vegetables and if you think the mixture needs more liquid just add in a bit more boiling water.
- Add some black pepper and salt if you think it needs it (I didn’t use salt).
- Put a lid on then and let it simmer on a low heat for around an hour or until the veg are cooked.
- Serve with spuds anyway you like!
Like this recipe? Sign up to Veganuary today to get recipes like this delivered directly to your inbox.