This is a great recipe for a quick lunchtime stir-fry, with broccoli and kale (or dark-leafed cabbage greens or spinach).
To get the best taste from tofu I dry-fry it and then marinate it for a few hours, or overnight in the fridge.
To dry-fry simply press excess water out with paper-towel, slice the tofu and place in a dry-frying pan at a low heat and press with a spatula. You will hear a hissing sound as the excess water is removed. Turnover and do the other side. To marinade I use 1 Tbsp of each – freshly squeezed ginger juice, shoyu and mirin – you can add ¼ tsp turmeric, sweet paprika, garlic powder or whatever taste excites you.
Press the tofu in paper towels to absorb any excess water.
Whisk the soya sauce, miso paste, ginger juice and vinegar in a cup and set aside.
- Heat the toasted sesame oil in a wok over medium heat and add the garlic, onion and the mushrooms stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tofu and cook on a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kale stir and cover for 5 minutes or until it turns bright green adding a little water if necessary.
- Add the broccoli cover for 3 or 4 minutes, if the pan seems dry add a splash more water.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the dressing.
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.