This delicious cauliflower steak is our new Veganuary menu favourite, and now you can make it at home! Delicately spiced and bursting with colour, this plant-based dish is perfect for those on a New Year health kick or looking for a #meatfreemonday alternative.
- To make the spice mix, combine the turmeric, smoked paprika and olive oil and mix well, then leave to stand.
- Toast the pine nuts until golden, cool slightly and roughly blend.
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into 2 thick slices. Reserve the trimmings for the purée.
- Slightly steam the cauliflower steaks for around 5-7 minutes and leave to cool.
- Roll the steaks in the spice mix and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Once the cauliflower steaks are marinated, remove from the fridge, season with a little salt and pan fry, or place on a baking tray and cook until tender, browned and crispy.
- To make the purée, add the cauliflower trimmings, soya milk and water to a pot and cook thoroughly. Next, strain the cauliflower, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Blend the cooked cauliflower with the cooking liquid until is it of a fairly loose consistency, using a ratio of 4 parts cauliflower to 1 part liquid.
- To serve, arrange the hot cauliflower purée on each plate and place the cauliflower steaks beside it, before adding the mixed leaves dressed with a little olive oil.
- Sprinkle the crushed pine nuts and pomegranate seeds over the steaks, drizzle with lemon oil.
- Top with coriander cress and serve.