Easy Peasy plant based cooking which will appeal to all ages. This dish is sweet, nutrient filled, low fat, colorful, tasty, comforting, re-heatable...
Delicious as a side paired with a veggie loaf or some bean dip and a vegetable (raw or cooked).
Turn the rice into a main by adding some beans or plant based sausage.
Add herbs and/or spices as desired.
- Peel and dice one medium sized onion, enough to make one cup.
- In a medium size saucepan, place 1/4 cup or so of vegetable broth (or water) and add diced onion.
- Cook over medium heat for about ten minutes, stirring often until the onions are translucent.
- Add veggie broth or water as needed to prevent onions from sticking.
- Grate 1/2 medium sweet potato until you have filled a one cup measure.
- Do not pack down.
- Add sweet potato to cooked onion and stir lightly to combine.
- Place rice in a fine mesh sieve and rinse under running water for one minute or so.
- Add rice to onion and sweet potato mixture and stir to combine.
- Add 1.5 cups of veggie broth or water to rice mixture and bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn heat down to low and simmer rice until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered for ten minutes.
- Fluff gently with a fork and add coconut oil is desired.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.