For the marinade:
100ml Elmlea Plant Single (or your favourite dairy-free single cream)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tsp garam masala
450g oyster mushrooms
For the sauce:
2 tbsp vegan butter
6 garlic cloves
1 thumb of ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp chilli powder
170ml Elmlea Plant Single (or your choice of vegan single cream)
Want to make your own delicious vegan butter chicken? Find out how with this recipe provided by Elmlea and So Vegan!
Prep: 35 mins
Marinating: 30 mins
Cooking: 30 mins
Ready in: 1 hr, 35 mins
1. To prepare the marinade, add the cream, paprika, cumin, garam masala, a big pinch of salt and the juice from the lemon to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Then tear the oyster mushrooms into 3-4cm pieces and add them to the bowl. Stir until the mushrooms are totally coated in the marinade and leave to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oven to 200°C / 390°F.
3. Next, pierce the mushrooms onto 4 skewers and add them to a baking tray, resting the ends of the skewers over the sides of the tray. Roast for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile start preparing the sauce. Peel and dice the onion. Then add the vegan butter to a frying pan over a medium heat. Throw in the onion and fry for 6 minutes. Meanwhile peel and dice the garlic and ginger. Then add them to the pan and fry for 3 minutes.
5. Next add the cumin, garam masala, turmeric and ground coriander and fry for 3 minutes.
6. Then add the tinned tomatoes, sugar and chilli powder to the pan along with a big pinch of salt. Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
7. Cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
8. Transfer the sauce to a blender (this is optional), blend until smooth, then pour the sauce back into the pan and stir in the remaining cream.
9. Remove the mushrooms from the skewers and add them straight to the pan along with any juices that have gathered in the baking tray. Heat through for 1-2 minutes.
10. Stir to combine then serve alongside some rice and chopped fresh coriander.
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!