Makes around 40 nuggets
- Add the carrots, onion, and garlic to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and repeat this with the rest of the vegetables, adding each to the bowl once chopped.
- Mix the flax meal with 12 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the contents of the bean tin to the food processor with the flax mixture and puree until smooth. Add this mixture to the bowl of vegetables.
- Add 100g of the breadcrumbs and the gram flour to the bowl with some seasoning and mix well. Pour in the flax mixture and combine everything into a paste using a spatula or clean hands.
- If baking the nuggets, preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F) and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. If frying the nuggets, gently heat 1 cm of oil in a large frying pan.
- Taking tablespoons of the vegetable mixture, shape into nuggets and roll in the breadcrumbs to lightly coat each one.
- Place the nuggets in the frying pan or on the baking sheets, ready to be transferred to the oven. Shallow fry on all sides until crisp and golden or bake for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Serve with baked sweet potato wedges, mashed potatoes or baked beans.
TIP: These nuggets freeze well, and can make a super easy and nutritious tea time treat for kids. Simply complete the recipe up to the end of step 5 and open freeze on trays until solid. Transfer to freezer bags and store until needed. Simply bake in the oven, adding 5 minutes to the cooking time. Ensure the nuggets are piping hot before serving.