Sometimes you gotta conform to stereotype, and falafel and hummus are a vegan stereotype I am more than willing to embrace! There is a reason this combination is so popular the world over... Because it's divine! And with the great pre-made falafel mixes that are around nowadays, this can also be a cheating chef's quick fix any day of the week.
Special thanks to Victoria Harley for the image: split-pin.co.uk
- There are some great falafel recipes out there, but it isn’t always practical to make your own. Especially if you’re looking for a quick meal. I really love the Al’Féz falafel mix, which you can get easily from supermarkets and stores throughout the UK. It has the most authentic taste I’ve found and is so easy to make. But there are lots of brands out there… Granose does one, Hale & Hearty another, and you can even buy falafel pre-made from supermarkets. If you want this for a working week lunch, then why not make up the falafel the night before and pop them in the fridge. Then all you need to do in the morning is assemble the sandwich. (But they really are very quick and easy to make, just follow the instructions on the packet.)
- You can also pre-make the crunchy salad so making the sandwich is quicker the next day, or go with a more simple salad; sliced cucumber, crunchy lettuce, a few slices of red pepper.
- Generously spread the hummus onto both slices of bread
- On the bottom slice, layer some salad mix,
- Then add the falafel patties on top – I like to break mine up so the sandwich is easier to close, and the hummus oozes into the cracks
- Top with the other slice
You might want to add a splash or two of hot sauce, like Tabasco, for an extra zing.