For the Roasted Aubergine:
2 large aubergines, diced into cubes
Salt and pepper
For the Tangy Garlic Dressing:
100g vegan mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, finely chopped/microplaned
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the Flatbreads:
300g cake flour
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Zest of 1 small lemon
250g coconut yoghurt
1-2 tbsp water (if necessary)
Olive oil for brushing
For the Nuggets & Toppings:
2 x 380g boxes of Fry’s Plant-Based Chick’n Style Nuggets
1 jar of roasted red peppers, sliced into strips
10 baby tomatoes, diced
2 spring onions, sliced
Small bunch fresh mint, chopped
Friday nights in never looked so good thanks to this vegan chicken shawarma by our friends at Fry’s! Soft, homemade flatbreads hug roasted aubergine, plant-based nuggets and all the fixings.
Make the roasted aubergine:
1. Preheat the oven to 220 ºC. Place the aubergine onto a baking paper-lined tray and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes. While cooking, toss twice to ensure that the aubergine is evenly cooked. Remove from the oven when golden and allow to cool.
Prepare tangy garlic dressing:
3. In a bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together, then season and set aside.
Make the flatbreads:
4. In a large bowl, mix the flour, mint, baking powder, salt, zest and coconut yoghurt together with a spatula. If the dough seems a little dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water until it comes together.
5. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead it for 1 minute to bring it together. Dust your work surface with little flour and divide the dough into 6 equal size pieces.
6. Dust the pieces with more flour and roll them out into roughly the size of a side plate. Dust each piece with flour to prevent sticking.
7. Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Dry fry the flatbreads for 1 ½ -2 minutes then flip. Brush the flipped side with a little olive oil and cook for another 1½-2 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and place into a pot with a lid to keep the bread warm and soft. Repeat until you have cooked all of the flatbreads.
Cook the nuggets and toppings:
9. Cook the vegan chicken nuggets according to the packaging instructions.
10. To assemble, give each flatbread a dollop of mayonnaise then top with nuggets. Add the aubergine chunks, slices of red pepper and tomatoes, then finish with spring onions and chopped mint.
11. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Check out this vegan Peking popcorn chick’n too.
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!