For the Rice:
200g sushi rice
310 ml water
1½ tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
For the Cucumber:
125 ml rice vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
½ tsp chilli flakes
Half a cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
For the Sauce:
Oil for frying
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
A small knob of ginger, finely chopped
125ml hoisin sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
Zest and juice of 1 lime
For the Popcorn Chick’n:
1 x 300g box Fry’s Plant Based Popcorn Chick’n
Pickled ginger, sliced
Fresh coriander, chopped
1 tbsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
2 lime wedges
You need to try this vegan Peking popcorn chicken with sticky rice and pickled cucumber! This recipe by our friends at Fry’s features plant-based popcorn chicken tossed in a sweet and sticky sauce, complete with tangy pickles on the side. A perfect sharing platter for special occasions like parties or date night.
Make the rice:
1. Rinse the sushi rice in a colander until the water runs clear. Add the rice to a bowl and cover it with 2 cups of water. Allow the rice to soak for 20 minutes. Drain the water from the rice.
2. Add the drained rice and 1¼ cups of fresh water to a small pot with a lid and set it over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to the lowest setting and steam for 15-20 minutes or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
3. Remove the pot from the heat and let the rice stand covered for 5 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and tip it out onto a plate. Allow the rice to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Mix the vinegar, sugar and salt together, then pour it over the rice and use a spatula to fold the rice together.
Prepare the cucumber:
5. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt and chilli flakes to a bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
6. Add the cucumber slices and leave to pickle for at least 20 minutes. The longer it pickles the better the flavour.
Make the sauce:
7. Set a small pot over medium heat and add a splash of oil. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 2 minutes or until the garlic just starts to brown.
8. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil, then remove the pot from the heat.
Cook the popcorn chick’n:
9. Cook the vegan popcorn chicken according to the packaging instructions.
10. Once cooked, toss in the sauce.
11. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and fresh coriander. Serve with sticky rice, pickled ginger, pickled cucumbers and extra sauce on the side.
Love this recipe? Why not try this plant-based chick’n shawarma by Fry’s too?
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!