Brighten up your meals with these vegan rainbow rolls with peanut dipping sauce. Once everything’s chopped, this recipe is a total doddle.
Next time you’re looking for a vibrant plant-based dinner, try these colourful veg rolls.
Recipe by Higgidy.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes about 24 rolls
100g dried cellophane noodles
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 pack rice paper wrappers
1 large bunch of coriander, leaves picked
1 small bunch of mint, leaves picked
½ cucumber, halved and seeds scraped out with the tip of a teaspoon, then cut into very thin strips
2 carrots, peeled and cut into very thin strips
1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and cut into very thin strips
6 radishes, very thinly sliced
5–6 spring onions, cut into very thin strips
1 avocado, stoned, peeled and cut into very thin strips
For the Peanut Sauce:
4 tablespoons smooth or chunky peanut butter
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon light brown soft sugar
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
Just remember to have a bowl of hot water on the table, as each wrapper will need a quick bath before it’s ready to roll.
1. Start by making the peanut sauce. Measure all the ingredients into a small saucepan, place over a low heat and heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture just begins to bubble. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Place the noodles in a heatproof bowl, pour over boiling water to cover and leave to soak for 10 minutes until rehydrated. Drain well and return to the dried-out bowl. Drizzle over the sesame oil and toss the noodles to evenly coat in the oil.
3. Fill a separate bowl with hot water. Take a rice paper wrapper and dip in the hot water for about 5 seconds until soft and pliable – they really don’t need long.
4. Lay the wrapper on a board and, working quickly, arrange some of the herb leaves down the centre of the wrapper. Then take a little of each of the thinly cut vegetables to create a neat pile in the centre of the wrapper. Finally, place a small bundle of rehydrated noodles on the very top of the veg. Fold in the edges of the wrapper over the veggies and then roll up.
5. Repeat with the remaining wrappers, herbs, veg and noodles.
6. Cut each roll in half to expose the pretty rainbow colours of the vegetables and serve with the warm peanut sauce.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Try these Vietnamese rice paper rolls too!
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with inspiring recipes, meal plans and more. All our resources are 100% free!
Already signed up? No need to register again, keep an eye on your inbox for your cookbook!