Not owning an ice cream maker is the bane of my existence. There’s about 11 billion vegan ice cream pins and bookmarks I’ve saved. Unfortunately space is a premium in our house and I just can’t justify buying one.
Recently, the brilliant collective that is “Vegan Meringue – Hits and Misses!” on Facebook have been sharing their adventures in aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas) ice cream…so yesterday at work I was daydreaming all day about mixing whipped coconut cream with meringue.
The result is pretty fantastic!
I used chickpea brine that I had frozen and then defrosted in this recipe with great results. Remember to save your brine!
- First make the mint coconut whip. In a stand mixer add the coconut cream and peppermint extract. Beat on high for about 5 minutes using the balloon whisk attachment.
- Once the coconut cream begins to whip add the food colouring. Whip again for another 3 minutes or until soft peaks appear. Scrape out into a container and set aside. Wipe out the mixer bowl.
- Next prepare the meringue, pour the chickpea brine into the bowl of the mixer and beat on high with the balloon whisk for 5-8 minutes.
- Once the soft peaks start to appear, add the cream of tartar. Keep whipping for another 5 minutes, adding the icing sugar in small amounts.
- Once the meringue has formed stiff peaks, fold in the mint coconut whip using a spatula. Carefully fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the ice cream into a container and immediately place in the freezer for minimum 8 hours, preferably overnight. Remove from the freezer 5 minutes before serving.