With a name that’s fun to say and a recipe that’s fun to make, this unique take on waffles will surprise you and your guests in the best way! Makes about 5 Waffles.
This is how you make them:
- First, start heating your waffle iron. Then, in a small bowl combine the almond milk and lemon juice and set aside. It will start to curdle, but don’t worry – this is supposed to happen.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Then, add the milk/lemon juice mixture as well as the oil and water. Stir until all flour is incorporated and then set this waffle batter aside for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the tahini sauce by combining all six ingredients. Stir until completely smooth and then set it aside, as well. If you don’t have the ingredients for the Tahini Sauce on hand, store bought hummus makes a great substitute.
- Next, lightly grease your heated waffle iron via oil-dipped pastry/basting brush, or by using cooking spray. Then, add the waffle batter to the iron until about 2/3 full.
Note: I always surround my waffle iron with clean paper towels. This helps catch any oil or batter that may fly about during the waffle making process.
- While you wait, take this opportunity to chop some veggies for your topping. I like cucumbers and tomato, but feel free to get creative. A romaine-based salad such as a Greek salad would be a delicious topping, as well.
- When the waffle is done, carefully remove it from the iron with a fork. Repeat this process until all of the batter is transformed into golden falafel waffles. Just be sure to re-grease the iron before making each one!
Keep the waffles warm by placing them on a cooling rack-lined baking sheet in an oven heated to its lowest setting.
- When you’re ready to eat, drizzle your waffles with a good amount of Tahini Sauce (or hummus). Then, add the chopped vegetables.