Chief Executive Officer
Put your leadership skills to work for animals by joining our incredible team at Veganuary.
Be part of an organisation that makes headlines in January and throughout the year. Veganuary’s popular culture appeal and positive approach to veganism is making a measurable difference for animals, sparing millions of lives since our launch in 2014.
Our participant numbers continue to grow exponentially, as do our partnerships with the corporate world, including restaurants, supermarkets, and food retailers.
Reporting directly to the board of trustees, you will be responsible for the overall success of our charity. You are a visionary leader with experience to lead a team of talented and dedicated staff to ensure the long-term viability of the organisation.
You believe strongly in the core values of Veganuary and have several years of experience as an executive leader of a values-driven organisation. You have a deep understanding of the vegan movement and a track record of success in campaigning, strategic innovation, marketing or mobilising public engagement for social change.
We need you to be a strategist and a leader who is able to steer the charity in the most effective direction while implementing our vision, objectives, and long term goals.
You are bilingual in at least English and one additional language of the following: Spanish, Portuguese, German or French.
You have at least three years’ experience in fundraising or business development and five years’ experience in a leadership role in a mission-driven organisation, ideally in the animal welfare or veganism sector.
We aim to recruit the most talented and professional people into our team. We are fully committed to ongoing investment in our staff, including training to improve the work we do for our clients, the animals.
The position will be home-based, but will require frequent travel in Europe, the U.S. and U.K.
How to Apply:
Please email your CV to [email protected] with a short covering letter that answers the following questions:
Why do you want to work for Veganuary?
What will you bring to our charity?
What are your salary expectations?
The full job description and requirements are listed below.
Closing date for completed applications: 29 March, 2019. We’re keen to fill the position soon so will begin the interview process on a rolling basis.
Chief Executive Officer
Salary: Depends on experience
Hours of work: 40 hours per week
Responsible to: Board of trustees
Work base: Home-based
Contract: Full time, permanent
Working closely with staff and the trustees, the main purpose of the Chief Executive Officer’s role is to formulate strategic initiatives that further the organisation’s mission and to ensure the day-to-day activities of the charity support those initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the chair of the trustees, the Chief Executive Officer has several general responsibilities:
- Provide clear, inspiring leadership, direction and vision to the staff, ensuring that strategic goals are achieved.
- Provide the trustees with regular updates on campaign developments.
- Collaborate with the trustees to create actionable goals for each department and to create plans for achieving those goals.
- Prepare and implement comprehensive business plans to facilitate the goals of the charity.
- Support the trustees to set the annual budget and forecast fundraising priorities for the future.
- Build collaborative relationships with other animal protection groups and stakeholders in the movement.
Strategy & Policy Implementation
- Develop and implement Veganuary’s strategy and vision in close consultation with the board of trustees to ensure the strategy is in line with the organisation’s vision.
- Understand context and having a clear long-term view.
- Having a clear understanding of the principles of effective altruism.
Financial Management and Fundraising
- Ensure financial and fundraising goals are achieved.
- Oversee all fundraising activities and budgets in consultation with the board of trustees.
- Develop high performing fundraising strategies which are cost effectively implemented in association with the Head of Fundraising and their team.
- Develop a clear strategy for Veganuary programmes and campaigns both within the UK and internationally.
- Act as a spokesperson and represent Veganuary in interactions with the public, the government, private sector, other NGOs and the media.
Personnel and HR Management
- Ensure compliance with charity policies, procedures and legal guidelines.
- Manage and lead the team to achieve agreed objectives and to encourage the professional development of individual team members.
Undertake any other tasks commensurate with the requirements and skills and competency base of the post. This Job Description reflects the requirements of the post at the time of writing. The needs and circumstances may change over time, and therefore the Job Description may need to be reviewed in the light of any such changes which may occur.
- An education to degree level or equivalent.
- Proven experience as a Chief Executive Officer or other senior managerial position within the not-for-profit sector for at least five years.
- At least three years’ proven experience in fundraising or business development.
- Deep understanding of the vegan movement and a track record of success in campaigning, strategic innovation, marketing or mobilising public engagement for social change.
- Demonstrable experience in developing strategic and business plans to ensure the continued viability of the charity.
- Strong understanding of animal protection issues, veganism and corporate engagement.
- Bilingual in at least English and one additional language of the following: Spanish, Italian, German or French.
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.