Launched in York in 2014, research shows Veganuary has helped millions of people change their diet
1st January 2023 – Veganuary, the global pledge to try vegan for 31 days, is today celebrating the tenth anniversary of its launch in January 2014 as new research from YouGov shows that nine percent of Brits have taken the pledge at least once.
Some famous participants amongst them include rock legend Brian May, TV presenter Jasmine Harman, wildlife presenter Chris Packham, actor Peter Egan, ‘dragon’ Deborah Meaden and Eastender’s Kellie Bright.
A YouGov poll* released today has revealed:
- Nearly three-quarters (71%) of GB adults have heard of Veganuary
- Nine percent of GB adults have ever participated in Veganuary, since our first pledge in January 2014. Based on the current GB population, Veganuary estimates this is approximately six million people**
- Fifty-three percent of past participants have done Veganuary more than once, with 21% having done it four times or more – suggesting it is now a firm British tradition
- Fifty-two percent of past participants were still eating meat and/or fish when they took part for the first time, 31% were vegetarian and 12% were vegan
- In total, 85% of non-vegan past participants have reduced their consumption of animal products since doing Veganuary. After taking part in Veganuary, 23% of non-vegan participants became vegan, 43% reduced their animal product consumption by at least half (but not completely), and a further 20% reduced by between a quarter and a half.
- The majority of past participants cited animal welfare as a motivating factor for taking part (62%) followed by environmental reasons (54%), personal health (46%) and global health e.g. pandemics/antibiotic resistance (30%) (they were asked to choose all that applied)
- There has also been a marked increase in plant-based consumption amongst people who have not taken part in Veganuary, with 37% saying they eat more plant-based food now than 10 years ago
Forged on a kitchen table in York by a husband-and-wife team, Veganuary has made newspaper and TV headlines around the world – from front page of the Times to features in the Washington Post, New York Times, New Scientist and South China Morning Post as well as CNN, Sky News and BBC Breakfast.
Joaquin Phoenix, Joanna Lumley, Paul McCartney and Evanna Lynch have backed the campaign which now has official chapters in seven countries and has attracted participants from every country in the world except North Korea.
Jasmine Harman, who took part in the first-ever Veganuary in 2014, said: “I think I always knew Veganuary would blow up, and it would be huge but seeing just how big it got and how quickly has been just phenomenal.” She added: “I feel very proud and very privileged to have been with Veganuary from the start and to be one of their Ambassadors.”
Actor Evanna Lynch, who has been an Ambassador for the charity since 2017, said: “Veganuary has given veganism a positive brand makeover.” She added: “Every Veganuary we have amazing new options in all the mainstream chain-restaurants and it’s showing people that all these choices are right there – you don’t have to sacrifice anything.”
Images of celebrity alumni and supporters are available here.
The launch of Gregg’s vegan sausage roll for Veganuary 2019 sent Piers Morgan into meltdown, in 2020 KFC and Burger King joined in with the first fast-food Veganuary launches and McDonald’s added its McPlant nationwide last Veganuary.
Thousands of vegan products and menu options have been launched around the world during Veganuary to capitalise on the ever-increasing number of people taking on the pledge. Asda, Deliveroo, Bosh!, Cauldron and Tesco’s Wicked Kitchen discuss the widespread impact Veganuary has had on Britain’s food landscape in this video.
Veganuary’s Head of Communications, Dr Toni Vernelli, says: “Having been vegan myself for more than 30 years, it’s amazing how the conversation around veganism has changed in recent years and I know Veganuary’s friendly, non-judgemental, just-give-it-a-go-for-a-month-and-see-what-you-think approach has played an instrumental role in this shift.”
She added: “To everyone who took their first step towards a vegan diet with us in January 2014 – Happy 10th Veganniversary! To everyone taking their first step with us today – welcome to a growing global movement taking positive action for a better world.”
Notes to Editor
Veganuary is free to join, and people can sign-up at veganuary.com to receive our Celebrity eCookbook, new One-Pot Meal Plan, the Official Veganuary Starter Kit and 31 daily emails packed with nutritional info, delicious recipes, more meal plans and helpful advice.
A press pack with more stats, celebrity quotes and links to general Veganuary images can be downloaded here.
All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2129 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 18th – 19th August 2022. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).
**Calculated by Veganuary
Toni Vernelli, International Head of Communications, Veganuary
T: 07505 866 548
E: [email protected]