So you’ve taken the Veganuary pledge and need a little supermarket inspiration? Whether you’re doing it for the animals, your health or any other reasons, we’ve compiled a list of vegan supermarket essentials that should be on your shopping list!
Fruits & Vegetables
No fridge is complete without an array of fruits and veggies. Here are a few of our faves:
- Bananas – a banana a day might not keep the doctor away, but they’re loaded with essential vitamins and minerals such as potassium, calcium and iron.
- Spinach – add it to a sandwich, a salad or blend up as part of a delicious breakfast smoothie!
- Sweet potato – versatile and delicious, this nutrient-dense potato can be prepped in 101 different ways… sweet potato fries, anyone?
Any fruits and veggies are a good addition to your vegan shopping list!
Soya, almond, rice or oat milk? Supermarkets are packed with plant-based options these days, so you don’t have to get up at 5am to milk the almonds…
Alpro, Oatly, Silk and Almond Breeze are popular brands but there are plenty of others. Supermarkets are also creating their own-brand plant milks, which are often a cheaper but just-as-tasty option.
Check out the best milk for the perfect cuppa.
You’ll find plenty of vegan meat substitutes at your local supermarket; from burgers and sausages to country pies and fish fingers. Some vegetarian meat substitutes are also accidentally vegan. To be sure, double check the ingredients.
- Lentils, beans and peas – they’re high in protein making them a staple of many vegan meals. Check out our lovely Lentil Bolognese recipe.
- Rice – tasty, quick to prep and goes with almost anything. Many of the instant rice packs are also vegan.
- Pasta – almost all dried pastas are vegan so load up on your tagliatelle, fettuccine, macaroni and spaghetti
- Bread – most breads are vegan, from bagels and wraps to French sticks and ciabatta
- Maple syrup – it only takes a couple of drops to sweeten up your breakfast porridge!
Dairy-free cheese is now available in every shape and form. Cheddar, Parmesan or halloumi? Peppercorn, blue cheese or cream cheese? Whatever your cheese, you’ll be sure to find a bunch of options down at your local supermarket. Take a look at some of our favourite vegan cheeses.
Feed your sweet tooth with some tasty vegan treats, such as accidentally vegan Oreo’s or Skittles (yes, they are both most definitely vegan). You’ll also find plenty of milk-free and egg-free desserts and chocolates in your supermarket’s free from aisle, and don’t forget to check out the chiller cabinet where you’ll find vegan cheesecakes and other tasty goodies. Most supermarkets stock cakes, too.
Take a look at our recipe section to see what delicious dishes you can cook up with your new vegan supermarket essentials!
Ready to take the pledge? Sign up to take part in Veganuary and try vegan with us. The only time… is now.
UPDATED NOVEMBER 2020