Having a kitchen full of versatile and tasty ingredients is your first step to creating fantastic vegan food.
Don’t feel that you need to rush out and buy everything straight away though. Simply use this as a guide to grow your Veganuary larder. You’ll find all the inspiration you need for cooking with these within our Recipe section – and if you’re not sure where to find them our Product Directory is here to help. Happy cooking!
- Vegetable Spread: Flora Freedom (recommended!), Pure Sunflower/Soya, Suma, Vitalite, Biona etc.
- Dairy Free Cheese: Vegusto/Tofutti/Sheese/Violife etc.
- Plant Milks: Soy/Rice/Almond/Oat/Hemp/Coconut etc.
- Yogurts: COYO/Soy etc.
- Dairy Free Ice Creams: Booja Booja/Swedish Glace etc.
- Tofu: Extra firm for cooking or silken for sauces and desserts.
- Seitan: Meat replacement made from wheat gluten – great ‘meaty’ texture.
- Peas: Garden peas (frozen or canned).
- Beans: (Dried and/or canned) – kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans.
- Chickpeas: These are good as a healthy savoury snack, or sprinkled on to your dinner to add a little crunch.
- Seeds: Sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, chia, flax etc. Seeds are packed full of good stuff!
- Nuts: Almonds, cashews, walnuts, brazils, pine nuts.
- Nut butters: Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, hazelnut butter etc.
- Lentils: Puy, red, brown and green – in dry form or packed ready to throw straight into sauces/curries. A wonderful ‘meat’ substitute in Bolognaise, Shepherd’s Pie, Lasagne etc.
- Miso: Traditional Japanese seasoning – eat as a soup or use as a flavouring
- Tideford Organics: Everything they make is now vegan, from delicious soups to sauces, pesto and vegan gravy.
- Tamari/Soy Sauces: Tamari is a thicker, less salty, fermented soy sauce with less wheat than soy sauce
- Tempeh: Similar to tofu in that it is made from fermented soy beans, but less popular in Western countries. Firmer than tofu with a stronger flavour. Great to marinate.
- Fry’s: All vegan frozen product range, including burgers, sausages, chicken-style strips and nuggets. Recommended!
- Linda McCartney: A number of vegan products, including many sausages, sausage rolls and country pies.
- Granose: A great range of vegan products. Packed in dry form you simply mix with water and make up yourself.
- VBites: Range of vegan deli products.
- Pulsin: Most of their protein bars and protein powders are vegan
- Brown or wild rice: More nutritious than white rice.
- Quinoa: Great source of protein. Wash well before cooking.
- Oats and millet: Excellent choices for a hearty breakfast.
- Whole-wheat couscous
- Whole or multi-grain pastas
- Whole grain / sprouted bread and tortillas
- Chickpea Flour: Used frequently in Indian cooking, this flour is really versatile. You can make pancakes, bhajis and even ‘omelettes’ with it. It is also gluten-free.
- Agar agar: Vegan substitute for gelatine.
- Nutritional yeast: A lovely cheesy flavor and great for vitamin B12.
- Vegetable stock: (Cubes or powder) Go for the low sodium option.
- Vegetable bouillon
- Tomato paste/puree
- Oils: Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the best for cooking, but there’s a range of vegetable oils at your disposal – including rapeseed and sunflower.
- Egg Replacer
- Flax seeds (Good source of Omega 3 – can sprinkle on breakfast cereal or smoothie). Can also replace eggs
- Chia seeds: Great replacement for eggs – one chia ‘egg’ equals 1 tablespoon of seed to 2 tablespoons of water.
- Coconut oil: Good for replacing butter.
- Agave nectar: Great honey replacement.
- Maple syrup: Great honey replacement.
- Blackstrap molasses: Fantastic source of iron.
CONDIMENTS AND SAUCES
- Egg-Free Mayonnaise: Granovita/Plamil etc.
- Mustard: Most mustard is vegan – Dijon, Hot English, American etc.
- Tomato Sauce/Ketchup
- HP Sauce
- Hot Sauce: Tabasco etc.
- Dried fruit
- Flax crackers
- Ten Acre Crisps
- Pulsin bars
- Ten Acre Popcorn
- Dark chocolate
- Nuts and seeds
FRUIT AND VEGETABLES
Don’t hold back here – eat a rainbow! Some of our favourites include:
- Kale: A vegan superfood! (along with other cruciferous vegetables) An excellent source of calcium and other vitamins and minerals.
- Bell peppers: Great raw dipped in hummus or in a stir fry. (Buy organic when possible.)
- Sweet potato: A fantastic source of vitamin A.
- Mushrooms: Get your B vitamins here!
- Berries: Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries (Again, buy these organic when possible.)
- Avocados: One of the good fats!
Inspired? Most of these essential ingredients are available in the Veganuary supermarket, run by TheVeganKind. There is an ‘affiliate’ relationship between Veganuary and TheVeganKind, meaning that at no additional cost to you, Veganuary earns a commission if you make a purchase.